Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cajun fried chicken with zucchini fritters, baked potato and salsa

This morning I realised I still had some Cajun rub left from Sainsbury's supermarket which I bought in Cambridge. I'd actually never used it.

So I decided that for this week's American meal I was going to make Cajun chicken. While I was browsing through cookbooks for ideas I realised I could make my own fried chicken, which I love. Ok, it's not super healthy, but it's fun to make. I found a recipe by Jamie Oliver that used a baked potato (or baked sweet potato rather, but I couldn't find any at my grocery store) with cajun alligator meat and salsa. Seeing as I don't live in Louisiana and don't exactly have alligators swimming in my next door swamp, I decided to go for the fried chicken.

The salsa asked for tomatoes, spring onion and green tomatoes, but we don't have those here either (unfortunately I will never be able to make fried green tomatoes then), so I chopped up some zucchini instead. Then I figured, well, why don't I make some zucchini fritters as well! Once in North Carolina, I tasted the most amazing zucchini fritters at the Olive Tree (no website unfortunately) in Winston Salem.

For the fried chicken and zucchini fritters I mixed some Cajun rub with some flour and dipped the meat and veggies in a beated egg mixture first and then in the flour-spice mixture. I baked the potato in the oven and I chopped up the other veggies for the salsa (and a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar go a long way). I deepfried (be careful!) the meat and veggies and it turned out great! I also made a dip of yoghurt with garlic powder to go with the fritters.

So all in all, it was a bit of Jamie, a bit of me, and a lot of yumminess!

No comments:

Post a Comment